#BookReview: Hook Shot by Kennedy Ryan | #KeLo #HoopsSeries #SportsRomance #HonMagPR


A deeply emotional standalone romance set in the worlds of professional basketball and high fashion. 

Divorced. Single dad. Traded to a losing squad.

Cheated on, betrayed, exposed. 
My perfect life blew up in my face and I'm still picking up the pieces.
The last thing I need is her.
A wildflower. A storm. A woman I can't resist. 
Lotus DuPree is a kick to my gut and a wrench in my plans 
from the moment our eyes meet.
I promised myself I wouldn't trust a woman again, 
but I've never wanted anyone the way I want Lo. 
She's not the plan I made, but she's the risk I have to take.

A warrior. A baller. The one they call Gladiator.

Kenan Ross charged into my life smelling all good, looking even better and snatching my breath from the moment we met. 
The last thing I need is him.
I’m working on me. Facing my pain and conquering my demons.
I've seen what trusting a man gets you.
I. Don't. Have. Time. For. This.
But he just keeps coming for me. 
Keeps knocking down my defenses and stealing my excuses 
one by one.
He never gives up, and now...I'm not sure I want him to.

MY REVIEW


I am normally not into sports romance, but wow! This story made me forget it was a sports romance, perhaps because the heroine was in the fashion industry.

When Kenan and Lotus see each other for the first time, there is an instant attraction, which occurs every time they encounter each other. However they don't actually meet until a few years later (where this story begins).

The hero and heroine are solid characters. I really liked the way Ms Ryan used them to tackle some serious real-life issues that many authors would shy away from. This is where I should mention that these issues may be triggers for some readers. However, these aspects of the story also provided depth to the characters and substance to their fears. Love, refused to let Kenan and Lotus hide behind all the reasons they shouldn't be together. I found myself caring about the characters, including the secondary ones. I cried through half of the final chapter to the sigh-worthy end.

The story is incredibly well-written. Ms Ryan's writing is top-notch, and I enjoyed the narration as much as the story itself. There are times I had to pause just to absorb the words. #MindBlown

The only thing I didn't like about the story was the fact that it is written in first person present tense, because a few times I forgot whose POV the scene was in.

It's still early in the year, but this will undoubtedly be on my favourite reads of 2019 list!

Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIGN UP: #CoverReveal - EXPECTING TY'S BABY by Empi Baryeh | @empibaryeh #WTMOreads