Prah, Constantine and Baryeh Reviews: Maggie for Hire by Kate Danley | #PCBReviews

Hey, everyone. It's time for another 3-in-1 review from the review team of Prah, Constantine and Baryeh! (drumroll). We took a trip down paranormal lane with Maggie for Hire (Maggie MacKay Magical Tracker Book 1) by Kate Danley.

Here's the blurb
My name is Maggie MacKay. When monsters show up in Los Angeles, I get the call to haul 'em back to the dimension where they belong.

It's a living.

But I just got word my uncle has teamed up with the forces of darkness to ruin my life. Actually, everyone's lives. Everyone's gonna die if don't find a magical object before the coming apocalypse. This is going to make the next family reunion a little awkward.

Come along with me, my sidekick elf Killian, and my crazy family for a snarky urban fantasy adventure with attitude.

WARNING: This book contains cussing, brawling, and unladylike behavior. Proceed with caution.

My Review
I am not the biggest fan of urban fantasy, and I prefer to consume paranormals as movies or TV shows. However, this book did a good job of making the story relatable by keeping things lighthearted with a spattering of wisecracks and dry humour that will garner a laugh from some readers (wisecracks and dry humour aren't my thing, but I did recognise that some of my friends would find their use in this book funny).

I really liked the fact that the heroine was kick-ass. Adding an elf (whom I imagined as Orlando Bloom in Lord of the Rings) as her sidekick was a definite plus.  I was hoping for some romantic elements between the heroine and the elf, especially since the author laid a lot of emphasis on the elf's beauty and effect on humans. Nevertheless, the interaction between them was nice. I hope the elf gets to do more action in subsequent books in the series. He came off as a bit of a wimp in this book, which wasn't too helpful to the heroine. It felt as if the elf was made weak to make the heroine look better, which wasn't necessary. For once, vampires were not portrayed as the most beautiful creatures on earth, which (to me) is a more authentic portrayal what vampires should really be.

Disclaimer: I bought my copy of this book from Amazon.

Don't forget to check out reviews of this book by my review partners Nana Prah and Cathrina Constantine.

Comments

  1. Good Review, Empi! I believe we're on the same page with this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I am in complete agreement about Killian. He should have used his power more often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SIGN UP: #CoverReveal - EXPECTING TY'S BABY by Empi Baryeh | @empibaryeh #WTMOreads