Review: Grip (Grip #2) by Kennedy Ryan

BLURB

*** You MUST read FLOW, before starting GRIP. **
Resisting an irresistible force wears you down and turns you out.
I know.
I’ve been doing it for years.
I may not have a musical gift of my own, but I’ve got a nose for talent and an eye for the extraordinary.
And Marlon James – Grip to his fans – is nothing short of extraordinary.
Years ago, we strung together a few magical nights, but I keep those memories in a locked drawer and I’ve thrown away the key.
All that’s left is friendship and work.
He’s on the verge of unimaginable fame, all his dreams poised to come true.
I manage his career, but I can’t seem to manage my heart.
It’s wild, reckless, disobedient.
And it remembers all the things I want to forget.


MY REVIEW

Grip is an interracial romance between Marlon (Grip), and African-American man, and Bristol, a Caucasian woman. Eight years ago, during spring break, they met and spent a week together falling in love. However, a couple of rude awakenings led Bristol to swear off Grip. Skip to eight years later. Grip is a big star and Bristol is his manager. They are friends. He still wants more, and she's unwilling to give him a second chance.

While her reasons for resisting Grip are understandable, I didn’t agree with the lengths to which she went in her attempt to keep him out of her heart, while keeping him in her life. She also did something that was supposed to prove just how much she loved Grip, which I felt showed weakness rather than strength.  

Grip's cockiness is offset by his unwavering desire for Bristol. Despite spending years being rejected by her, there’s never a doubt that she’s his first choice, if she’d have him. I always like that about a romance hero. That said, he had his issues - the kind that make you think 'ugh, he's such a guy.' 

The chemistry between the two leaps off the page. When they finally get together, they have to face a lot of challenges from family, friends and the public. There's more than enough racially motivated drama for those who enjoy that angle. 

Although there’s both a prequel (which I’ve read) and a sequel (which I haven’t yet read), I feel this story can be read as a standalone. The beginning picks up pretty much from where the prequel ends, but there’s enough backstory to cover the essential parts of what happened during their first meeting. The book also ends in a satisfactory HEA.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIGN UP: #CoverReveal - EXPECTING TY'S BABY by Empi Baryeh | @empibaryeh #WTMOreads