Review: One More Time by Laurelin Paige

BLURB
I would have been stupid to turn the opportunity down.
A feature film starring the hottest man in Hollywood—and me.
It wasn’t just the chance of a lifetime; it was the first time I’d landed the leading role.
But Tanner James isn’t just any actor, aka “Sex God”.
He’s the man who took my virginity then shattered my dreams.

If I can use this part to launch a new career, it will be worth it.
If I can stop myself from falling back into bed with Tanner, it will be a miracle.
And my heart?
He can’t take that from me this time.
He’s had it all along.

Format: audiobook

MY REVIEW
The story
Jenna, an almost has-been model, has had a hard time moving into acting. On the verge of fading into obscurity, she finally lands an acting job - a lead role, no less. Only one catch. Her co-star is the man who broke her heart ten years ago. She's still telling herself she's over him, so doing a movie with him is a big fat no, but something happens that makes refusing the job a luxury she can't afford. 

She's determined to set some rules going in. There's no reason why two adults who hate each other can't do a (romantic) movie like professionals. Except, of course, things don't go as scripted when they meet again. I enjoyed seeing them unravel on set.

A lot of model/actress characters I've read are snobs who have to learn a thing or two about life and love. I find it hard to connect with those. So, I'll admit when I see a story with actors and models, I approach with caution. The blurb, in Jenna's voice, gave the impression I might like her - and I did. Jenna felt like someone I might know or be friends with. Her honesty about herself and her fears made her feel authentic. I liked Tanner too. He was a good guy, and right from the start, it is clear that there's  more to what happened ten years ago. Together, they sizzled. Both characters show growth over the course of the story leaving me with a general happy feeling at the end.

The Production
I enjoyed the audiobook narration a lot. Though it wasn't always a 100% when it came to their Aussie accents, it's not a significant distraction. Both male and female voices brought life to the characters and the story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIGN UP: #CoverReveal - EXPECTING TY'S BABY by Empi Baryeh | @empibaryeh #WTMOreads