Review: Queen Move by Kennedy Ryan

BLURB
The boy who always felt like mine is now the man I can't have…


Dig a little and you'll find photos of me in the bathtub with Ezra Stern.
Get your mind out of the gutter. We were six months old.
Pry and one of us might confess we saved our first kiss for each other. The most clumsy, wet, sloppy . . . spectacular thirty seconds of my adolescence.
Get into our business and you'll see two families, closer than blood, torn apart in an instant.
Twenty years later, my "awkward duckling" best friend from childhood, the boy no one noticed, is a man no one can ignore.
Finer. Fiercer. Smarter.
Taken.
Tell me it's wrong.
Tell me the boy who always felt like mine is now the man I can’t have.
When we find each other again, everything stands in our way--secrets, lies, promises.
But we didn't come this far to give up now.
And I know just the move to make if I want to make him mine.


MY REVIEW
Kimba Allen and Ezra Stern grew up across the street from each other. They became the kind of friends who could practically read each other's minds. But life happened and they lost touch. Sadly, those weren't the times of the Internet and social media, so it takes a family tragedy to bring them together again decades later. Their childhood love instantly resurfaces as hot very-adult attraction. But Ezra is taken.

Jump to another two years later. A situation has arisen that makes it possible for them to be together, but it's complicated. I was happy the story didn't fall into the traditional crazy ex-girlfriend trap, thought it kind of started out that way.

Kimba is a strong female character. We see a glimpse of this in The Rebel King, where she's a secondary character, and it was nice to see the consistency in her character. She's principled and shows incredible inner strength with her choices and the sacrifices she's willing to make to keep herself from compromising herself.

I love romance heroes who show unwavering desire for the heroine. Ezra is one of them. There's never a doubt about his love and his choice. Plus he's not a douche.

The story feels simple, but it's not. I like how it weaves in issues like racism, interracial relationships/marriages, infidelity, friendship, loyalty etc. without detracting from the romance. At the end of the story, we're left in no doubt that Kimba and Ezra are meant to be, and they HEA is well-earned.

The characters were interesting and well-developed. The romance was sweet. The sex scenes were hot. The story-telling was top-notch. If you like second chance romance stories and soulmates, the you'd definitely love this story.

Queen Move is a spin-off/sequel (standalone) of All the Kings Men duet, and I enjoyed seeing Lennix and Maxim. I also liked the honourable mentions of Lotus Ross from Hook Shot.

**I received an ARC of this book. My review is given voluntarily**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIGN UP: #CoverReveal - EXPECTING TY'S BABY by Empi Baryeh | @empibaryeh #WTMOreads